Jefferson County Webboard
March 29, 2024, 10:54:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: www.thekevinreport.com

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The Infinite Tragedy of Alzheimers...and the kindness that can result

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Infinite Tragedy of Alzheimers...and the kindness that can result  (Read 102 times)
suzanne

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2018, 01:14:59 am »

I read the article at the following link with great admiration for its author, along with much compassion and understanding.  http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/curr/when-alzheimers-makes-room-for-love-20180319

My beloved Mom started showing signs of this dreaded disease in the late 1980's when she was 81. She was a tiny, active, and much younger looking than her age, woman who still was very active in her Church and well-known in the bowling and golfing communities. I will always be grateful to the fellow bowling neighbor who picked up my Mom, took her to bowling, and to all of the rest of the bowlers who looked after her, and when she returned from the rest room, made sure she got back to "her team".

While my Father was still alive, he had women who cared for her during the day, while he still work at his fuel oil business, and then he...the same age as my Mom..took care of her at night..while she wandered and removed clothes from closets and drawers etc.

After my Father died, when both were 88, my sister and I (both who lived many miles from Watertown) were BLESSED by having two wonderful woman take care of our Mom, 24/7, until her death at 96. One huge plus was that our Mom remained in excellent health and was very mobile throughout.
Also, her personality remained and she was the same very loving, caring woman she had always been.

I consider myself to also be a very loving, caring person, but I don't know if I would have the patience of article author, Lisa Solod, and the many thousands of other family members who are struggling to give love and support to loved ones afflicted with this dreadful disease...which to me, is worse than almost any other disease.

This horrible disease is so wide-spread that I expect there are several other webboard members who can relate.

And OFF TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Many thanks to you BigBear2 for constantly and regularly coming up with topics of interest to keep this webboard going.  Hugs to both you and Bondo (and Tree, who I have never had the pleasure of meeting)!!!!!!!!  :-)

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tree68

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 07:28:15 am »

My exes mother suffered from Alzheimers, and that may have destroyed our marriage, although in a rather indirect way.

We visited her mother in the facility where she was staying (a former TB hospital).  She didn't recognize any of us - two of her daughters and their husbands.

My ex had gone blonde for a while at the time.  There was a picture of her in her natural brunette on her mother's bedside table.  As we were trying to refresh Mom's memory as to who we were, my ex pointed out that she was one of the daughters.  The reply was "you aren't my daughter, this (pointing at the picture) is my daughter."

To have her own mother deny that my ex was her daughter was a horrible experience for her.  The ex was devastated, to say the least.   
Report Spam   Logged
guest59
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:46:12 am »

My Mother had it For 6 years and Passed away at 86. This is not the Way to leave
   your family Behind. This is a terrible way to go/hardship on all involved. Suzanne,
   We should All Me, Bondo, Tree (If he wants to) get together for lunch this summer.
Report Spam   Logged
Tree68

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 02:07:43 pm »

Sure!
Report Spam   Logged
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 12:56:32 am »

I would LOVE to get together for lunch with you three wonderful gentlemen. :-)
Report Spam   Logged
guest59
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 09:39:23 am »

Let Us know when you are in town, Suzanne.
Report Spam   Logged
Bondo

Progressives Suck

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 09:55:03 am »

Ayuh,....   Another meet up, sounds Great to me as well,......

As for Alzheimers, it runs rampart in both sides of my family,....
So much so, it's my excuse to Not stop smokin',....
My grandfolks, both sides, 'n most all my aunts, 'n uncles went through it,.....
None of 'em knew who they were by 70,....

Dad, unfortunately passed young at 62 from a massive heart attack, due to his life long fight with polio,....
Mom passed fairly young, from lou garigs(sp) disease at 68,.....
I'm in No hurry to go, but most certainly don't wanta outlive my mind,.....

Last time I saw BB's Fil, was 1 of the toughest times of my life,....
I'd known the man many years, much longer than I've known BB which is a considerable time,.....
I spent probably an hour with Doc, 'n lefty crying,.......
His big baby blues were as bright as ever, but he had left long before that day,....

I refuse to become warehoused til I die, locked out of yer own mind,.....
Ain't gonna happen,.....

Life is about Quality of life, not quantity,....
Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day,.....     Trump in 2024,......   2028,.....   2032,....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: